Thursday, July 2, 2009

"The Grade I Deserve." A New RYS Playlet.


4/15, 4:18 p.m.

“I am writing you this email because i'm just wondering if i could possibly know where my grade was at this point. I know that i have missed a couple classes recently and i just wanted to see where i was standing. if you could supply me witht the information it would be greatly appreciated. thank you for you time and understanding.”


++++

4/16, 1:42 p.m.

“Dear student:

It is impossible for me to tell where you are grade-wise. Two large grades are coming due: Writing Assignment #2 was just handed in, and has not been graded yet, and Writing Assignment #3 is due at the end of the semester. Also, there is the final exam to consider, making a third large grade yet to come.

Here are your grades so far:

I'd advise not missing any more quizzes; you've missed 2, which will be dropped, and you cannot afford to factor in any more zeroes with the grades you have earned so far.

Your first paper grade was decent, so if that indicates your minimum performance level, you are in a good position.”

++++

4/28, 2:55 a.m.

“ I am writing you this email to inform you that I will not be in town as of [Exam period day #3].
My other finals that I will be taking are on
[Exam period day #1]: 2-4pm
[Exam period day #2]: i will find out on friday

thank you for your cooperation and understanding”

AND

5/1, 12:40 am

“Dear Professor,
I will not be attending class today because i will be participating in the rally. I would just like to know what we would have been doing in class today. Thank you very much for you time and cooperation.”


++++

5/1, 8:43 p.m.

“Dear [students requesting alternative exam dates]:

Because you have requested an alternative date to take the final exam, I am e-mailing you to confirm when and where you are expected to arrive.

As announced in class today, the "make-up" final exam will be at 1:30 p.m. on [the study day we’re not supposed to offer exams, but I am breaking the rule because you all begged me].

The final will be 58 multiple choice questions culled from all 12 quizzes. Some questions have been slightly revised for clarity.

We will meet at [the regular classroom]. The room should be empty, but if the room is in use we will go to another room. I expect the exam to take no more than 1 hour to complete.

This will be the only day and time the final will be given other than the regularly scheduled date and time of [a week later].

I will see you all on the [very special exam day I wish I hadn’t agreed to offer].”

++++

5/2, 12:54 a.m.

“Professor,
I am just writing you this email to ask if I should give you my project … during my exam of if i should drop if off sometime before then. I'm sorry that i didn't get a chance to hand it in today [the day it was due], I went to [the rally] and thought i would be back in time. I have it ready to hand it and was hoping to have given it to you today but by the time i came back class was already over. Please let me know when i could give it to you, because i have it ready and set to hand in..i'm sorry for the inconviniance and I thank you for you time and cooperation.”


++++

5/2, 11:56 a.m.

“Dear Student:

As indicated on the assignment's instructions, late submissions will not be accepted.

Therefore, if you knew you were not going to be in class, you should have made arrangements to drop the assignment off early to ensure its timely submission.

I will see you on [the very special exam day I chose because it was the only day that didn’t completely inconvenience everyone else].”

++++

5/13, 2:42 p.m.

“Professor X,
I was just writing you this email to see as to why I obtained a D in your class. I know that my grades for the projects were both B's and would like to know my final quiz grade as well as what i got on your final if its possible.
Thank you very much, I hope to hear from you soon”


++++

5/21, 5:06 p.m.

“Dear Student:

Here are your 12 Quiz grades: [3 zeroes amidst mediocre grades]

Two zeroes are dropped, making your final Quiz total XX.

Your 3 Writing Assignment grades are: [mediocre #1, mediocre #2, plus a zero].

Out of 37 days for which I have attendance records, you attended 28, which translated into a [mediocre attendance & participation grade].

You scored [one of the lowest grades] on the Final Exam, but received [decent] points for the two extra credit assignments.

In total, you scored XXX of the potential points of the course, which translates to a D.”

++++

5/11, 1:48 p.m.

“Professor X,
I just wanted to know how you calculate your points that translated my grade into a D. I don´t think I deserved to obtain this grade and am just interested in how you calculate your grades to see if my grade for my final project would have affected my final grade. Thank you once again for your cooperation and time.”


++++

5/11, 11:40 p.m.

“Student:

Have you looked at the syllabus you were handed on the 1st day you arrived in class? Everything is thoroughly explained there, including the reasons why you earned the grade you were awarded.”

++++

6/2, 2:07 a.m.

“Professor X,
I did review the syllabus and saw how you did indeed end up obtaining my grade. I saw that the fact that you didn't recieve my last project affected me greatly. I don't think that its fair that I didn't get to hand it in. If i knew I was going to miss class i would have honestly given it to you ahead of time. My other projects show my hardwork that I have participated in your class, and besides the fact that i'm not a good quiz taker, I believe that I did show my dedication in your class. I wish to still be able to hand this in because it does affect my GPA very much and I wish to speak to the head of the [really lame] Department because that day that i wasn't in class was due to participation in [the rally] that i take seriously. I wasn't in class for a legitimate reason and did indeed think that i was going to get back in time, I even have a note that says i was with the group. Thank you for your time Professor X and i'm sorry if im pushing this but its really important to me and i did enjoy your class and wish to get the grade that i truly deserve. Thank you once again.”