Saturday, April 18, 2009

Why Does "Thanks for the Consideration" Always Sound Like Someone's About to Sell You Some Swampland?


This just in from a student I’d not heard from since January:

+++

I'd like to apologize from disappearing from the Monday night class as I did. A number of issues kept me from being able to complete the class, starting with falling behind right off the bat after adding the class late. As I had told you, I am the head coach of a high school wrestling team, and most of our matches are on Monday nights. So I missed some of the classes because of that.

Then, as fate would have it, my boys started to really wrestle well and made it to the district championships, and subsequently the state playoffs. This turn of events cost me another two classes, and I had then missed the mid term and two additional quizzes.

I never intended for this to happen, or I wouldn't have asked to add the class, but I'm sure you can appreciate the responsibility I had to my kids. I know I'm in no position to ask you for a favor after this semester, but as you know, I added this class because it was the only one I needed in order to graduate in May.

I'm wondering if there is any way at all that you would be willing to allow me to write a few papers or meet with you and make up some form of assignments in exchange for a C or D in the course. I know this is a lot to ask, and I understand if you would say no, but I've got a job opportunity lined up in June but that's contingent on me completing my certification. Obviously, I'd be willing to do any amount of work you'd see fit, and I'd work around your schedule. I look forward to hearing from you, and would really appreciate any help you'd be willing to give me. Thanks for the consideration.

+++

The punch line: he’s an education major!