Monday, October 27, 2008

Prof. Cougar from Cuyahoga Falls Shares Some of That Great Student Correspondence!

Hello Profesor Cougar,

My Name Is Betty Largent. I Spoke With You A Week Ago Concerning My Grade. As i Told You the TA Justine Told Me To Email You About My Policy Acknowledgment That She May Have Misplaced So I Was Wondering If Could Receice Another One To Fill Out Please. You Also Stated That I Do Note In Lecture When I Do Be In Lecture and Section The Reson Why my TA Justine Haste Down For So Many Missed Days Is Because I Was Late Those Days Other Than That I attednd Both.

Betty

-~-

Betty,

First, I'd like to point out that when you email me you need to use proper grammar, please. That does not mean capitalizing every word. Past that, some of the sentences in the email below aren't even close to being grammatically correct. The reason I do this is to prepare you for life after college, where employers will expect you to know how to communicate professionally. If you do not start to pay attention to this now, you’ll find out what importance it has at a point that is too late to do anything about it.

Second, as far as your attendance goes I should point out that coming in after attendance is taken is treated the same as an absence in my classes. That was stated clearly in the syllabus (Section 3.1). Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about that and I encourage you to make sure you’re on time.

Third, with respect to the policy acknowledgement, I must say that I am not sympathetic to your case. Most importantly, we have made numerous announcements about this in both lecture and discussion section. It is not clear to me why this only started to become an issue for you nearly ten weeks into the semester. When you consider that the syllabus says you will receive no credit until after this is turned in and that you said you'd stop by my office to discuss it (but then didn't), it seems to me like you simply do not care about passing the class. To be quite blunt, I don't believe that it was turned into the teaching assistant and then lost. That's inconsistent with the other evidence from the class, namely your low test scores and consistent tardiness.

With all of this in mind, I will reserve judgment at this point in time on whether or not to give you a zero for all work turned in to this point. If you can demonstrate to me through better attendance, improved class performance, and a mature attitude about participating in the class, I will give you a grade based solely on the merits of your work.

I strongly recommend you read the syllabus (carefully this time) and start working much harder on this class.

Prof. Cougar