Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Subtle Pedagogical Lesson For That Certain Student.

Take a seat and shut the hell up.

This is the only message I have for you. No, I am not going to have a ten-minute conference with you in the middle of class while you are supposed to be doing group work. That's what my office hours are for, and, by the way, I haven't seen you there.

No, I will not read over your essay in the middle of class. No, I do not want you to raise your hand in mid-lecture with a question that relates only to you and your work. No, no, no, no, no.

You cannot come in thirty minutes late, walk up to me as I am in the middle of leading discussion, and start talking to me as if you were the only student in the room. What the hell is wrong with you? Yes, I told you to have a seat through clenched teeth while the rest of the class looked on. You looked shocked. What did you expect me to do? And no, after being put (momentarily) in your place, I do not want you to open your yap ten minutes later with some blather so incomprehensible that the entire class begins to exchange quizzical looks and giggles in your general direction.

I don't know where you went to high school, or what in your educational background makes you so completely inept merely being in a classroom, but it's clear you just haven't a clue about how to act. So just take a seat and shut the hell up.