Thursday, April 27, 2006

With May Approaching, and With a Bit of a Sugar High, Someone Is Feeling All Gooey

My students today brought in donuts for everyone and a giant mocha latte for me today. It was just a regular class, 2 weeks to go in the semester, and the 4 or 5 who arranged it said it was "Just because."

That's the kind of thing that makes the amount of work I have to do all seem worth it. I have my days like any other university professor, and I think about the private sector, the money to be made, getting out from under my 3 committees, my task forces, my dinners with Trustees, and those sometimes troubling and needy students. But on mornings like this one, with a group of 15 happy and laughing students, white powdered donut mustaches on us all, I couldn't ever imagine leaving.

You made my day, "kids," and although I'm pretty sure none of them will see it, I just want someone to know that it meant the world to me.