Thursday, January 19, 2006

From an Academic Voyeur in Michigan.

I, like Theology in Minnesota, have some issues with the post from the Illinois Journalism professor. I understand what he is saying, but do not agree with the concept. He seems to want to speak to modern students in their own tongue, which is admirable for teaching them a string of new facts. However, what it will not do is teach them how to learn in a different manner -- to learn how to learn.

I feel like an outsider on this whole academic business, but I do have credentials. I have a B.A. earned with honors on a full academic scholarship. In the intervening decade plus I have worked in many different industries, including multiple Fortune 500 companies. As my lovely spouse moved to grad school and then to a tenure-track position, I eased into college administration, taking full advantage of my benefits to take more (free) undergrad classes to add new languages and skills. I have seen today's students at close hand, and I find it chilling. To be ignorant is one thing. To be willfully ignorant yet still feel entitled to a good grade is despicable.

Ill-Journalism's point seems to be that college must bend to the student's upbringing. I disagree. College is a transition to the real world, or at least it is supposed to be. The real world will not make an effort to speak your language, and your only real hope is an ability to learn how to cope with a new mode of speech on the fly. Corporations are not about to bend over backwards to help you succeed. There are far too many quality applicants standing in line to coddle a slow learner. That is why companies have adopted probationary periods of up to a year, to deal with the influx of pathetic college graduates with no basic adaptation skills.

I can give you plainly the view of a typical employer regarding new college grads: If you ask me stupid questions at work, questions whose answers are covered in the written material I gave you during orientation/training, I will assume you are a moron and not waste any further time with you. Your name will go to the top of the "budget cut" list, and you will get crap assignments until you can be unloaded. Welcome to life. There are no second chances. Have a lovely time. In this case, which I have seen first hand in the banking, insurance, aerospace, automotive, and IT industries, Ill-Professor's approach is not going to help you.