Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If 12,000 Proffies Typed For 12,000 Years, We Could Never Come Up With this Shit. Penny the Parent Sends a "Boo Fucking Hoo."

Is there a site where parent's can rate their student's teachers and colleges ? I feel cheated... my kid can rate You on RateMyProfessor ... you can rate my kid on RYS ... where can I go?

Once upon a time, in the Way Dark Ages of the 70's... I served as a student appointee on a Re-appointment, Promotions and Tenure Committee. I don,t know if they do that any more, and I was at an "alternative college," but if Administrations don,'t, they should. Now that was rating, right in the $$ book. I hope they still do it, but naturally, I'd want a say too...

I appreciate that my child might not be a rocket scientist, may think morning is 1 PM, etc. But College child got Out of High School with an 89 average and No Micro management on the Parent's part. We wrote nary an essay, filled out no application... so the Student is where the Student should be on the Student's merits...

But this parent is worried. The Student has one of those Unfortunate schedules and one of those Intractable (but hot, according to RMP) fascists, I mean teachers who is making that Thanksgiving getaway darned near impossible. The only way for the Student to get out of Uni town is Greyhound... the Student will arrive at the Crossroads of America (NY Port Authority) at Midnight, because hot teacher INSISTS ALL Students attend afternoon class or be penalized grade wise. The Student is worried.... The Parent ? The Parent is mighty pissed.

So, can you good folks send me to a place where I can vent ? Where what I have to say may actually make a difference? Because I know that the Student is going to be miserable for the short time the Student is home. And so, really, the Parent wonders if having a day of Thanks is really appropriate, when the Student will still be recovering from the trip home and will be resentful in that surly vacant way that students are these days... The Parent is even beginning to wonder about the wisdom of letting the Student attend an Out of State Instituion. Maybe the Parent should have said... "No Way.." Our State or No State... One would think State Schools would be Overjoyed to have Out of State Students and that they would care if these $$$$$ machines are happy...

Maybe the Professors would like to ponder this. Do you ever think about the folks who essentially pay your salaries? Do you have any feelings for your "employers" and their offspring (besides contempt ?) I mean, do you like being a College Professor ? (I admit it, I read just some of the blog...) Can you honestly tell me that we are getting our money's worth, or do you teach to support your_______________ habit ?

Just curious...

Here's hoping you get that well deserved rest you need over the Thanksgiving break...

The Not Happy Parent...