Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Student Wants to Clear Something Up About Student Interest in Your Damn Course

I admit that I've had some fun on this blog. I like to know what some of you profs are thinking of us, and I cheer when you take on the lazy and disrespectful students that bug me, too.

But one idea that keeps coming through that I don't think profs understand is how "engaged" you want students to be in each class. I'm a Business major, and in most of my major classes I'm pretty involved. I do the reading and assignments, and I see how Finance and Accounting will be valuable to me later on.

But when I'm in my Music Appreciation course or my Advanced Composition course in English, I know that stuff is just part of my "college experience," and not really a part of what I'm going to do in my career, so I occasionally pay less attention than my teacher wants. I do the work I know I have to, but I don't volunteer or go to office hours. I don't see the point. I know I'm supposed to get a well-rounded education, and I do pick up stuff in all of my classes.

But when profs get bent because I don't LOVE their specialty, that's just useless. I don't have an interest in every damn course, why is that so hard to understand?