Saturday, January 28, 2006

Unprofessional.

A student in the Carolinas sends this terrific post along this morning:

Some of the professors on your site come off as remarkably unprofessional. I realize that everyone needs an outlet, and professors are only human. I also realize the website is by professors, for professors. But, "We're the experienced adults in this context," says one of you. Act like it. I mean seriously, what is this:

"Here's the lowdown. Skeeter, you're a dimwit. I better slap that face next time I see it to even us up for you ruinin-ating my class this sem. Teeter, you got the look, hunny. But you ain't got the marbles. I hears 'em rollin' rollin' rollin'. Tweeter, you reap what you sow, baby girl. You may have the necessary ADDitude, but you got a loud mouth and you pissed this tizzo off one too many times. The rest, get you some Cs and Bs and gedd-da-fuq-out! Peace. I tha Frank-bomb, and I am outie."

Also, rating students' "hotness?" Disgusting. I really hope none of these people is a professor at my school.

By the way, I am not one of those bitter, spoiled kids you frequently complain about, so keep your assumptions to yourselves. I work hard, in spite of the general lack of intellectual stimulation my university supplies. This is supposed to be a place of learning and sharing ideas, but instead it is incredibly stifling, and is often nothing but a sounding board for individual professors' egos. If there is anything I have learned, it's that so called "facts" are slaves to perception and opinion. I am left floundering for a way to best reword my professors' opinions and turn my papers into mirrors in which to reflect their "greatness," in my quest for the almighty 4.0. It disgusts me. That is not to say that they have all completely disappointed me, just most of the ones in my major. Go figure.

I will admit, however, that a lot of the students you describe are the types I hate. I would rather massage my eyeballs with sandpaper than interact with them.